Flustered Custard

 I spent far too much time the other day wondering about the words custard and flustered and similar words that happen to rhyme.

If you take the word mustard, it sounds exactly the same as the word mustered.

Mustard is weird yellow gloopy stuff that you put on on sausages.  Mustered is the past tense of to muster, meaning to gather together.  He mustered the troops ready for the attack.  She mustered her courage before confronting the mice about what they'd done with the mustard.

So custard is also yellow stuff but if you put it on your sausages, people will become worried for you and suggest you take a holiday or see a professional.  As far as I know however, there is no such word as custered.  As in the past tense of custer.

So I'm wondering what could such a word mean?  To custer.  I think it's a verb that means to have one's army or other forces surrounded and taken apart.  As in Colonel Custer, the American cavalry officer of extremely dubious morality.  Our troops were completely custered by the rebels.  Or, I tried to protect the humous but the mice custered the fridge and devoured it almost instantly.

Similarly, the word flustered is excellent.  I was more than a little flustered by the whole experience which is why I now need new pants.  So what could the meaning be of the word flustard?

Could it be yet another yellow food stuff that happens to rhyme with mustard and custard.  Perhaps it has an umami flavour.  Mushrooms can be blended and mixed with a variety of herbs and spices to create a complex and pleasing flustard which you can spread on toast or crumpets for a warming snack on a winter's day.  Just don't let the mice get a sniff of it: they will custer your flustard without mercy.

Or is flustard some sort of medical issue?  I cannot come to school tomorrow because I must visit the hospital to have my flustard removed.  It's not painful but it does need to be done by a doctor with a large syringe and a flowery hat.

Then of course there are the following:

Blustard: which is simply blue custard.

Buzzered: She buzzered me in and I climbed the stairs to her flat, carrying fear and chocolates.

Dastered: which is when you paint someone's wall without asking them.

And Bastered which is some sort of stonemasonry technique used by mice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SPECIAL SCHOOLS AND SHOOTING ANIMALS

THE UMBRELLA TREE